Medical Director and founder of San Antonio Eye Specialists
Dr. Nader Iskander is board-certified by the American Board of Ophthalmology and fellowship-trained in refractive surgery from the Gimbel Eye Centre. Dr. Iskander brings 20 years of experience to San Antonio Eye Specialists. Dr. Iskander has extensive experience in LASIK vision correction, advanced cataract extraction procedures and anterior segment reconstruction techniques. Dr. Iskander is an expert eye surgeon in San Antonio, Texas who has personally performed over thousands of procedures.
A third generation ophthalmologist, Dr. Iskander has helped thousands of patients see better since 1995. Dr. Iskander brings his international experience to San Antonio Eye Specialists through LASIK Surgery, Cataract Surgery and other vision correction procedures.. He attended the University of London prior to joining Alexandria University Medical School, where he received his Doctor of Medicine degree and graduated with honors at the top of his medical school class. Dr. Iskander completed his residency training at the the world renowned Cleveland Clinic and the prestigious Kresge Eye Institute in Michigan.
Dr. Iskander underwent further subspecialty fellowship training in refractive surgery at the Gimbel Eye Centre in Calgary, Canada where he was mentored by Dr. Howard Gimbel, who is widely considered to be one of the most influential refractive and anterior segment surgeons of the twentieth and twenty-first centuries. This fellowship, together with Dr. Iskander’s extensive experience, makes him an expert in a wide array of vision-correcting procedures and the state-of-the-art technology he provides to his patients.
Dr. Iskander received numerous honors and awards for his contributions to the science of ophthalmology. In addition to his skill and care as a refractive, cataract, and anterior segment specialist, Dr. Iskander’s accomplishments include serving as medical director for practices in Texas and California and he is also a former Assistant Professor of Ophthalmology at Wayne State University in Michigan, where he taught refractive and cataract surgery to ophthalmologists-in-training. He has authored a book chapter and co-authored a textbook on LASIK surgery. He has been published in the journal Ophthalmology, The Journal of Cataract and Refractive Surgery, and other leading medical publications. Dr. Iskander has been invited to speak at professional conferences and has taught courses as an expert to practicing ophthalmologists at the American Academy of Ophthalmology. He has also served on expert panel at the American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgery.
Dr. Iskander is board-certified by the American Board of Ophthalmology and is a member of both the American Academy of Ophthalmology and the American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgeons. He resides in San Antonio with his wife and two children.
- Fellow: Refractive and Anterior Segment Surgery, Gimbel Eye Centre, Calgary, Canada
- Resident: Department of Ophthalmology, Kresge Eye Institute, Wayne State University, Detroit
- Resident: Department of Internal Medicine, Cleveland Clinic Foundation, Cleveland
- Doctor of Medicine with Honors, University of Alexandria Medical School
- Fellow American College of Surgeons (FACS)
- Diplomate, American Board of Ophthalmology
- Fellow, American Academy of Ophthalmology
- Member, American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgery
- Member, San Antonio Society of Ophthalmology
LENSAR femtosecond laser system for cataract extraction certification
- Allegretto WaveLight Laser Certification
- Ziemer LDV, Z-LASIK Certification
- Intralase Bladeless LASIK Certification
- Zyoptix Bausch & Lomb Custom Laser Certification
- VISX Custom Cornea Excimer Laser Certification
- VISX Excimer Laser Certification
- Bausch & Lomb Technolas Excimer Laser Certification
- Alcon (LADAR) Excimer Laser Certification
- NIDEK Excimer Laser Certification
- Chiron C-LASIK Certification
- Conductive Keratoplasty Certification
- INTACS Corneal Rings Certification
- American Surgery Center of South Texas, San Antonio, Texas
- North Central Methodist Ambulatory Surgery Center in Stone Oak, San Antonio , Texas
- Methodist Stone Oak Hospital, San Antonio, Texas
- Christus Santa Rosa Hospital & Healthcare System, San Antonio, Texas